Ever get a gift that makes no sense? That’s the feeling your visitors get when you ask them irrelevant questions.
We have released ten marketing automation tips to make you a little more productive. Like presents, some are small, some are big–but enjoy them all.
Today’s tip – Improve Your Global Form Experience via Conditional State Fields
People in Japan really don’t care about filling out information related to the United States. People in the United States don’t care about Australia. You get the picture.
To give your forms a localized flavor, make sure that your State field values are conditional so only the appropriate states and provinces show. This provides your visitors with a much better content experience.
In addition to providing a better user experience, fewer fields (especially irrelevant ones) mean higher conversion rates. That means visitors in countries like Spain, Italy and others will have fewer fields to complete.
Janet Driscoll Miller (@janetdmiller) of Marketing Mojo recently discussed a Marketo study that showed that the reduction of two fields can boost conversion rates by 1.5-2%. In theory, reducing a form by a single field should have a .5%-1% bump. Significant change? No. But that’s 50-100 leads for every 10K leads generated–a potential $2-$4K savings for leads that cost $40 a pop.
If you are looking for some other detailed form tips, read crazyegg’s Small Tweaks that Can Have a Big Impact on Your Web Form Conversions.
How to Setup in Marketo
For detailed directions on how to edit picklist values and set field labels, get more information in the Marketo Community (Login required). At a high level, here are three steps:
- Within your form, select the State field and choose the Visibility rule.
- Customize when the State field should appear and which values it should contain.
- Repeat for all the forms where Country and State are captured.
Learn more about other Marketo Forms Tricks in First Take: Twelve Great New Features of Marketo’s Forms 2.0.
Other Tips from the Series
- Tip #1 – Add Time Zone Link to Webinar Invites
- Tip #2 – Improve Your Global Form Experience
- Tip #3 – Build Reusable Offers With Snippets
- Tip #4 – Celebrate Wins and Build Alignment with Sales
- Tip #5 – Arm Sales with Intelligence with Sales Insight
- Tip #6 – Don’t Forget Your Plain Text Email
- Tip #7 – Put Down the Pepto: Reduce Marketing Automation Stress
- Tip #8 – Gain Insight into Your Lead Lifecycle with Date Stamping
- Tip #9 – Cut Marketing Effort in Half with Program Tokens
- Tip #10 – Improve Results with Global Suppression Lists